A small talk inside the taxicab



Last Tuesday, I landed in Jakarta after spending 5 days in Pekanbaru, my hometown, to celebrate CNY. From the airport, I took a cab to get home. Everything went as usual. I got a driver. He helped me to pick up my bags. I opened the door and sat in. Then, the driver started to involve me in a small convo. 

I was asked if I was a college student or a professional. I told him I work in a telecommunication company that provides wide-range services from VSAT to fibre optic connectivity, data centre to cloud services, and smart surveillance to data compression technology. My answer triggered him to talk about his life prior to being a taxi driver. 

He explained that he had previously worked in the mining industry, was stationed in a remote area of Papua for years, and was in charge of the IT department. Knowing that I work in a telecommunication company, he told me that he had experience in deploying VSAT device and activating radio wireless connectivity. Since I work in marketing division, my understanding about telecommunication technical terms isn't too deep. But, I could generally understand and give him a lil response to his explanation.  

After years by years working in the company, he was later promoted to be a manager. However, in 2021, he got laid off because of the pandemic and tough corporate financial condition. His life story moved my heart. I was imaging myself achieving the position of manager, then suddenly got fired. It must be a nightmare. Finding a new career was challenging for him in his 40s. With the very limited job opportunities, he considered that driving was his last remaining option. He thus submitted an application to one of the biggest cab firms in Indonesia and was accepted. 

On the way home, he continued telling me how much he enjoys his new job as a taxi driver. He advised me not to easily give up on any life challenges, to emphasize education, and to always be courteous to people around us since we never know how life will change and twist our position upside down, from comfort to discomfort. 

I rarely engage in a deep conversation with taxi drivers every time I take a ride. But, this time was different. The 40-minute drive from the airport to my home felt quick. We arrived at my apartment. He helped me to put my bags out of the cabin. I handed him money and gave him tip. What a small yet meaningful talk inside the taxicab! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tata Ibadah dalam Agama Buddha

Resensi Buku: Four A Divergent Collection

Agama Sikh di Indonesia: Mengumpet di Balik Nama Hindu